Monaco Journal - Zhang stuns Medvedev to become first Chinese man in Halle last-eight

NYSE - LSE
CMSD -0.15% 21.18 $
CMSC -0.42% 21.36 $
BCC -1.59% 81.94 $
BTI -2.39% 55.73 $
RBGPF -3.92% 68.65 $
NGG 0.3% 81.29 $
GSK 1.51% 50.28 $
RIO 1.57% 97.21 $
BCE -0.51% 23.35 $
BP 0.75% 42.85 $
JRI -1.04% 12.48 $
RYCEF 1.04% 21.06 $
RELX -2.59% 33.56 $
VOD -1.36% 16.2 $
AZN 0.28% 156.89 $
Zhang stuns Medvedev to become first Chinese man in Halle last-eight
Zhang stuns Medvedev to become first Chinese man in Halle last-eight / Photo: Bertrand GUAY - AFP

Zhang stuns Medvedev to become first Chinese man in Halle last-eight

Zhang Zhizhen on Wednesday became the first Chinese man to reach the quarter-finals of the Halle grass-court tournament with a three-set win over fifth-ranked Daniil Medvedev of Russia.

Text size:

The world number 42 came through 6-3, 2-6, 7-6 (7/5) after winning the last four points of the deciding tie-break.

"A really tough match. Last time I lost a third-set tie-break (in Stuttgart last week). And today again, a third-set tie-break," said the 27-year-old Zhang.

"I was thinking, 'Okay, it's time. The perfect moment to get revenge'," Zhang told atptour.com.

Zhang next faces American Christopher Eubanks, who knocked out defending champion Alexander Bublik 7-6(7/5), 4-6, 6-3.

World number four and French Open runner-up Alexander Zverev defeated Lorenzo Sonego of Italy 6-4, 7-6 (7/5).

"I'm extremely happy with my performance," said Zverev.

"I felt like it was good tennis and I'm happy to be in the quarters."

Zverev will next face 20-year-old Arthur Fils in the quarter-finals. The Frenchman eased past Dominik Koepfer 6-3, 6-4.

Germany's Jan-Lennard Struff defeated Luciano Darderi 6-7 (2/7), 7-5, 7-6 (12/10) on a 10th match point.

P.Caruso--MJ